We all know about the benefits of driving business direct to your property website, from lower cost to capturing customer data. The element of web direct business that has not received the attention it should is your ability to capture meaningful data that can be used to support revenue decisions in your hotel. There are hundreds of measures that are provided through web analytics tools, for now, we’ll discuss the 6 key metrics you should not make revenue decisions without.
1. Unique Visitors – In the distribution game it’s all about awareness and having consumers consider your property when they are making a booking. Knowing the visitor count tells you if your marketing and distribution efforts are working. If a consumer is interested in your offering they will go to your website.
2. Traffic Source – Are consumers finding you through your paid placements, your organic listings, referral sites or are they coming to you direct. Your online marketing plan needs all. Measuring the source of traffic will paint the picture of what is working to deliver more visitors and assist with future marketing plans.
Goal: grow your organic traffic, spend less for more visitors
3. Keywords- Search on the web is driven by keywords or the words entered into the search box on Google or other search engines. This is how consumers find you. Know the keywords that are delivering traffic to your property then outline other terms that can deliver even more traffic.
Goal: own your brand keywords & grow your non-branded traffic
4. Geographic Source – The Holy Grail to marketers, knowing where visitors are coming from provides insight into your current reach and provides real data on where to target future campaigns.
Goal: expand your reach; grow your primary markets
5. Conversion Rate – Turning lookers into bookers; this is what your site should do more so than anything else. It is nice that consumers can learn about your property or see pictures; if the site is not converting then it is all for not. There are two ways to measure conversion; both are important to improve. Industry averages are still shockingly low from 1.5% to 3% depending on the measure.
- Overall site conversion – From point of entry to the site through booking
- Booking Engine conversion – From point of entry to the booking engine through booking
6. Revenue – Money in the bank. Turning visitors into reservations delivers dollars to the bank; this is what it is all about. The key to this metric is the ability to track revenue generated across all facets of your website; whether looking at Traffic Source, Geographical Source, Keyword you should be measuring the revenue garneted for each. If you don’t have this capability call you internet marketing team, if they can’t help you call us; you should not be making web decisions without this.